[systemd-devel] Waiting for wireless network online

Will Newton will.newton at gmail.com
Fri Aug 28 03:29:49 PDT 2015

Hi all,

I have a system that waits for network-online with
systemd-network-wait-online but the network is never detected as
becoming online and I was interested to understand how this should
work.

There is one network interface, wlan0, which on boot is not configured
(no WPA credentials) but as part of the boot process is configured by
a service. networkd detects the wlan0 link being created by
wpa_supplicant and initiates DHCP which brings up the network but
systemd-network-wait-online never detects this.

I suspect the reason for this is that wait-online listens for netlink
NEWLINK events which are too early in this case (before the interface
is routable).

Does that sound plausible? What is the mechanism by which wait-online
should detect the interface is now configured?

Thanks,