[systemd-devel] Computer won't boot unless external drive plugged in

Michael Wenyon michael+systemd at wengam.com
Tue Dec 1 11:54:08 PST 2015

Please refer me elsewhere if this posting is inappropriate. I was
referred to post here because of an error message I see when running
journalctl on a system that fails to boot.

I do not know how to save the journalctl log, but have transcribed from
onscreen two error messages:

1. At the end of the failed boot I see:
Subject: Process /bin/plymouth could not be executed...
...The process /bin/plymouth could not be executed and failed

2. Earlier in the boot, I see:
Subject: Unit dev-disk-by\x2duuid-F4CEDFE4CEDF9D64.device has failed
...The result is timeout

Also, something about "Unit media-michael-clone.mount has failed"

I dual-boot Debian Jessie and Windows 10 on an Acer Laptop. All updates
applied.

I also backup the Windows system using Acronis True Image, to a USB
connected drive.

Since about October 1, 2015, my computer won't boot into Linux unless
the external hard drive is plugged in.

The USB drive is named 'clone'. Its fstab entry reads: