[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Jóhann B. Guðmundsson johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 06:46:55 PST 2015

> I probably should never have added EnvironmentFile= in the first
> place. Packagers misunderstand that unit files are subject to admin
> configuration and should be treated as such, and that spliting out
> configuration of unit files into separate EnvironmentFiles= is a
> really non-sensical game of unnecessary indirection.

The legacy sys initscripts in Fedora, more or less ( with the exception
of very few corner cases which got solved via templates ) where just
using environment files that resided under the /etc/sysconfig directory
that contained options to match $FOO="Yes" or "No" or Options="Bar"
which you override either via copy of the type unit file or via
overwrite snippet.

I personally never saw the reason why it existed in first place ( in
that context ) and I'm not aware of any other usecase for it's existence
and I have seen units in various upstreams repos' that contain that
/etc/sysconfig Fedora/RedHat-ism which at the same time makes them
incomparable with any other distro thus adds to the upstream/downstream
burden of maintaining those unit file(s).

If you are unaware of any other use case for it perhaps it's time to
start looking into obsoleting it.

JBG