[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Fri Dec 11 06:59:54 PST 2015

Am 11.12.2015 um 15:45 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
> On 12/11/2015 03:56 AM, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:

> You just create an configuration snipped that replaces the ExecStart
> line for the daemon in the unit file with startup options for the daemon
> which contains the options you want to change or copy/edit the full unit
> and replace it.
>
> In his sample case above where he's using ExecStart=/usr/sbin/httpd
> $OPTIONS -D FOREGROUND and the environment file /etc/sysconfig/httpd
> you would create an configuration snippet which contains
> "ExecStart=/usr/sbin/httpd -D testserver -D FOREGROUND" instead

and that's exactly what i don't want to do for damned good reasons

* in the past i started httpd with type=forking
* it was just "/usr/sbin/httpd $OPTIONS"
* switch to "Type=simple" was change the untit in our own
   maintained rpm-package and add "-D FOREGROUND" too

"distribute-updates.sh" and all machines in the cluster where changed,
you can't act that way when you have on each and every machine a snippet
to change

EnvironmentFile is a great way to make units flexible with sane defaults
and i am *not* talking about upstream or distributions here

so taking away that option gains you nothing but breaks things for no
valid reason - it would only confirm people which hesitate to adopt
systemd because the fear that they can't rely on capabilities it brings
now because they may flippantly disappear