[systemd-devel] Is ProtectHome=not working or am I doing something wrong?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 08:33:39 PST 2015

Hi,

I'm using systemd v228 and tried to lock down rsyslog a bit.

For that I added

# /etc/systemd/system/rsyslog.service.d/override.conf
[Unit]
ProtectSystem=yes
ProtectHome=yes
CapabilityBoundingSet=~CAP_SYS_ADMIN

I then went on to test it. For that I created the following rsyslog
config which monitors a file in my users home directory:

module(load="imfile")
input(type="imfile"
      File="/home/michael/file1"
      StateFile="file1"
      Tag="tag1")

I thought ProtectHome=yes would deny rsyslog read access to /home, but
it seems the rsyslogd process can read /home/michael/file1 without
problems.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug in systemd?
universe are pointed away from Earth?