[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 21 05:00:53 PST 2015

Am 21.12.2015 um 12:40 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:
>> ExecStart=/usr/sbin/foobard $OPTS
>>
>> and then tell admin to use systemctl edit
>> [Unit]
>> Environment=OPTS=-baz
>>
>> bonus points if we could standardise the $OPTS var name across daemons.
>>
>> Then distros like Fedora could do a one-time migration of their
>> settings in /etc/sysconfig/foobar and drop the file after the upgrade.
>
> This makes no sense.

for you!

> Here you are just adding an extra line with no value on top of requiring
> some form of standardize the $OPTS var name across daemons ( as opposed
> to administrators simply change the value of the line directly ).
>
> Best practice and the least amount of work for administrator ( both in
> editing and for other administrators to keep taps on changes made by
> others ) is to copy/edit the entire unit.

only when you think in a short-term

in a long term your service may break because you change the ExecStart
and so miss new or changed parameters of the distro-package for example
when a param is no longer supported and the new version fixes that with
the shipped unit

> Lennart can better explain what value he saw in introducing those
> snippets compared to that since he introduced them in the first place

nobody is taking that way, but the world is not black/white