[systemd-devel] Query regarding "EnvironmentFile"

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Dec 21 05:30:56 PST 2015

Am 21.12.2015 um 14:23 schrieb Jóhann B. Guðmundsson:

>>> This makes no sense.
>>
>> for you!
>
> What he proposed is redundant and adds an extra line to the unit file
> and in addition requires some distro's acceptance that upstream needs to
> be aware of when it creates the unit for it's daemon/service.
>
> By all means enlighten me the benefits of his proposal which makes sense
> and does not add unnecessary line to the type unit file along with the
> complexity it might bring ( think larger type units )

by all means don't premature stop reading and press reply

in a long term your service may break because you change the ExecStart
and so miss new or changed parameters of the distro-package for example
when a param is no longer supported and the new version fixes that with
the shipped unit

i explained that already

Environment=OPTS=FOO could be a snippet

ExecStart=/path/to/daemon FOO would cut you from distro-changes in other
params and explained abvoe sooner or later lead in failing and could
even be security relevant depending on new options or removed options in
the distro-unit