[systemd-devel] Programmatically setting udev properties

Peter Hutterer peter.hutterer at who-t.net
Sun Feb 1 17:58:56 PST 2015

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 09:22:51AM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> Tomasz Torcz [2015-01-29 23:42 +0100]:
> >   Have you seen umockdev? https://github.com/martinpitt/umockdev/
>
> Right, with that you can run your tests as normal user, completely
> isolated from the actual system, and you can set up/change devices,
> attributes and properties at any time without restrictions.
>
> umockdev supports its own device and ioctl dump/restore format, but it
> can also read and write the evemu format (that might be useful for
> you).
>
> https://github.com/martinpitt/umockdev has a summary of what this does
> and how to use it.  I'm happy to discuss that further with you
> (perhaps on PM/IRC/etc.) if you are interested.

thanks, I've started looking through it. For now dumping into
/run/udev/rules.d is a lot easier to add than hooking up umockdev - we have
our own test framework around check, umockdev would be a bit more extensive
to change bits and pieces around.

That's mainly because we don't use the evemu format, we have a bunch struct
input_event arrays or wrappers around it. We don't use the recordings, it'd
be a bit unwieldly for the various interactions that we're testing.
So to switch to umockdev we'd have to juggle a lot more things than we do
now, that'll take time to write.

Cheers,
   Peter