[systemd-devel] User sessions, session buses, user buses

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Tue Feb 3 01:28:56 PST 2015

Hi

On Fri, Jan 30, 2015 at 9:30 AM, Simon McVittie
<simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
> [For those who are there, I'll be at the system hackfest today and at
> FOSDEM this weekend, so if you are interested in these topics, please
> talk to me about them; I'll try to summarize discussion to these lists.
> For those not there, I'll try to keep up with responses via email and
> raise any interesting points in person.]
>
> I've recently been looking into D-Bus' interaction with X session
> startup, systemd --user, upstart --user, and the definition of a
> session. Every few months or years there is an attempt to sort out
> whether D-Bus has a user bus or a session bus or what. Here is another,
> with particular reference to systemd and potentially kdbus.
>
> Terminology
> ===========
>
> login session
> -------------
>
> A *login session* is as follows: when you log in to *dm, that starts a
> *graphical login session* which lasts until you log out. When you log in
> on a virtual console or via ssh or something, that starts a
> *non-graphical login session*. Background processes like cron or screen
> might also be non-graphical login sessions. A non-graphical login
> session might become graphical by running startx or similar.

We don't support turning text-sessions into graphical sessions (like
'startx' and friends). It works in some scenarios, but is strongly
frowned upon. Furthermore, VT sessions should really be treated like
graphical sessions. From a technical viewpoint, there is no
difference. And with things like kmscon or systemd-console, you really
*have* to treat it the same as graphical logins.

> In a systemd-logind environment, login sessions have an ID which is
> made available to in-session processes in the XDG_SESSION_ID environment
> variable. If the Linux "auditing" feature is enabled, the XDG_SESSION_ID
> equals the audit session ID (/proc/self/sessionid). If not,
> there is no audit session ID, so systemd-logind makes up a sequential
> XDG_SESSION_ID and uses that.
>
> seat
> ----
>
> A seat is a set of displays, input devices etc. attached to a machine.
> Most machines have one seat "seat0", which occupies all the devices.

'all the devices' is not exactly right. We still distinguish between
'seated' devices and 'non-seated' devices. That is, some devices are
always global and never assigned to a seat (like power-buttons, though
that particular example might even be broken right now).

But yes, all 'seated' devices are assigned to 'seat0' implicitly, if
not set otherwise.

> [...]
> all). I'd be willing to consider implementations that work with other
> service managers if their authors are willing to help maintain them.
>
> The glorious(?) kdbus future
> ============================
>
> kdbus is a proposed Linux kernel module providing
> somewhat-D-Bus-compatible message-passing semantics (I'm being vague
> because it's been 4 months since I last looked at it in detail - I hope
> to return to it soon). To provide complete dbus-daemon-like
> functionality, you also need a user-space process to create the bus and
> manage activations; the
> reference implementation, and so far the only implementation, is in
> systemd.
>
> The systemd developers who are working on the user-space counterpart
> for kdbus have indicated that they have zero interest in supporting a
> login-session-centric setup for session kdbus.  In practice, I think
> this means that the proponents of a login-session-centric world either
> can't use kdbus in their sessions, or need to convince the relevant
> developers that the added complexity of their model is worth it, or need
> to write their own user-space for kdbus sessions and
> disable systemd's. (It's not all bad - they can still use kdbus for
> the system bus, which is already an improvement.)
>
> Remaining issue: environment variables
> ======================================
>
> Sadly, not all the issues have been resolved yet. The biggest is
> environment variables: on existing systems there is an expectation
> that environment variables set by *dm, PAM, or /etc/X11/Xsession.d
> (or the non-Debian equivalent) will be propagated into every process
> in the session. In a brief survey of about half the Xsession.d scripts
> in Debian, I identified these environment variables:
>
> * PULSE_SERVER
> * ESPEAKER
> * XDG_DATA_HOME, XDG_DATA_DIRS
> * each variable printed by locale(1)
> * VDPAU_DRIVER
> * GTK_IM_MODULE, QT_IM_MODULE, QT4_IM_MODULE, CLUTTER_IM_MODULE,
>   XMODIFIERS
> * GTK_MODULES
>
> plus the obvious ones set by *dm, such as DISPLAY, or by PAM. Similarly,
> a user's ~/.xsession can set arbitrary variables - mine sets CCACHE_DIR,
> EDITOR, MPD_HOST and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS, among others.
>
> The naive implementation would be to run a tool at the end of
> /etc/X11/Xsession.d that uploads all of these into `dbus-daemon
> --session` (if used) and into `systemd --user` (if used). However, not
> all environment variables set in such scripts are suitable for that use:
> notably, XDG_SESSION_ID from the login session should not be copied into
> activated processes that exist outside any login session.
>
> As a short-term solution, I'm tempted to write that tool, but make it
> only upload a whitelisted set of variables automatically, and say "if
> you install dbus-user-bus, you are expected to run this tool from your

Other than my two additions, I agree with Lennart.

Thanks
David