[systemd-devel] What's the correct way to configure encrypted volume and mount point?

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Thu Feb 5 02:08:03 PST 2015

On 02/02/15 20:54, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> On Sat, 31.01.15 11:21, John Lane (systemd at jelmail.com) wrote:
>
>> Further to this, I tried manually creating a systemd-cryptsetup unit
>> instead of putting an entry in /etc/crypttab.
>> This allowed me to remove the "RequiresMountsFor" entry.
> Yeah, I figure for your usecase a "WantsMountsFor=" setting would be
> useful. ("Wants" is generally the softer variant of "Requires" for us).
>
> Added to the TODO list for now.
>
> Lennart

I assume "WantsMountsFor" will work similarly to "RequiresMountsFor" in
that it will add a "Wants" and "Requires" dependencies.

So, I just did a quick test by adding "Wants" and "Requires" has no
detrimental effect on my use-case. My custom unit works fine without the
dependency (thanks to the use of an automount) but adding those
dependencies doesn't stop it working as desired.

Will the TODO just replace the current use by the crypttab generator of
"RequiresMountsFor" with "WantsMountsFor",
or will an additional crypttab option (x-systemd-...) be required to
make it configure it that way ?

I'll look out for this being implemented and will try it out.

Thanks for adding to the list.

John