[systemd-devel] ExecStop IPC over same socket used for activation?

Chris Leech cleech at redhat.com
Thu Feb 5 11:33:59 PST 2015

Hi,

Lee Duncan and I were looking at a situation with iscsid where a
systemctl stop command would sometimes print a job canceled message, and
the service would be immediately restarted.

The problem seems to be that the ExecStop command is sending a shutdown
request over an IPC socket, the same IPC socket used for socket
activation.  I've captured debug logging of the failure, and it seems to
show systemd moving the socket unit back to a listening state before the
ExecStop command is run.  The shutdown message then triggers a start
job, which cancels the pending stop job, the daemon receives the message
and exits, but is then restarted right away.

This doesn't seem like too crazy of a way to shut things down, should
the coordination between the service and the socket unit be waiting for
for the ExecStop to complete before monitoring for socket activation
again?

- Chris Leech