[systemd-devel] Failed units and "Unit type .busname is not supported on this system"

John Lane systemd at jelmail.com
Fri Feb 6 09:12:43 PST 2015

Good afternoon. I have some errors in the boot sequence of a newly built
system:

I see:

    systemd[1]: Unit type .busname is not supported on this system.

then later on:

    systemd-networkd[278]: Assertion 'bus' failed at
src/libsystemd/sd-bus/bus-util.c:105, function
bus_event_loop_with_idle(). Aborting.
    systemd[1]: Unit systemd-networkd.service entered failed state
    systemd-networkd.service failed.

and

    systemd-logind[565]: Failed to connect to system bus: No such file
or directory
    systemd-logind[565]: Failed to fully start up daemon: No such file
or directory
    Failed to start Login Service.

My "systemctl status" shows a "degraded" status with 3 failed units being

      UNIT                     LOAD   ACTIVE SUB    DESCRIPTION
● systemd-logind.service   loaded failed failed Login Service
● systemd-networkd.service loaded failed failed Network Service
● systemd-networkd.socket  loaded failed failed networkd rtnetlink socket

However, it gets to the login prompt, I can log in and everything works
(as far as I can tell).

I assume that the failed units are a result of the "busname is not
supported on this system" but I have no clue about what that means and
what to do about it. Searches have turned up nothing.

System details:
Linux tsodium 3.18.5-1-ARCH #1 SMP PREEMPT Fri Jan 30 07:17:14 CET 2015
i686 GNU/Linux
systemd 218
+PAM -AUDIT -SELINUX -IMA -APPARMOR -SMACK -SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT -GNUTLS +ACL +XZ +LZ4 +SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD +IDN
built today from "systemd-git 218.944.g30ae637-1"

I am using a git checkout because I am using functionality that isn't in
218.

Any suggestions appreciated.

John