[systemd-devel] pam_limits: Could not set limit for ...: Operation not permitted

Kai Krakow hurikhan77 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 12:11:04 PST 2015

Lennart Poettering <lennart at poettering.net> schrieb:

> On Wed, 11.02.15 20:05, Kai Krakow (hurikhan77 at gmail.com) wrote:

>> > BFQ? What is that? I'd really try a vanilla kernel before checking
>> > anything else...
>>
>> Bucket Fair Queue... A "better" variant of CFQ. I think it wouldn't
>> matter.
>>
>> Well, thanks to your pointers, I somehow solved it. I don't know exactly
>> why because adding "debug" to pam_limits and pam_systemd yielded nothing
>> helpful. But I figured that I was part in many - historically needed -
>> groups. Those were added by Gentoo previously and according to post
>> install instruction, you had to be member of realtime, pulse,
>> pulse-access, video, audio etc etc etc. I've removed myself from those
>> groups since I guess systemd takes care of that now.
>
> Well, I can't see the relation between groups and rlimits I must
> say... Unless the default limits.conf on Gentoo sets something weird
> for members of those groups...

Me neither, especially since there is nothing special except maybe this one:

$ cat /etc/security/limits.d/40-realtime-base.conf
# Start of 40-realtime-base.conf from realtime-base-0.1
@realtime       -       rtprio  99
@realtime       -       memlock unlimited
# End of 40-realtime-base.conf from realtime-base-0.1

But that becomes installed as a dependency of rtkit.

>> The error message in the log is now gone and to my surprise, there's a
>> running "systemd --user" instance for my uid in the process list now.
>>
>> But now I got a new message in the log:
>> Unable to autolaunch a dbus-daemon without a $DISPLAY for X11
>
> Hmm, maybe Gentoo ships some dbus hookup for systemd user sessions
> that triggers this?

It's triggered by gnome-keyring-daemon... I already set DISPLAY=:0 in
user.conf just to try. This allows me to "systemctl --user start
obex.service" so the change was applied but didn't fix the messages.
Essentially, the messages may have been there before and I just didn't
discover them until now. So I reverted my change and wait for the following:

> Simon is working on getting this cleaned up in dbus-daemon upstream,
> see the other threads about that.

Yeah I already discovered that and thus currently won't work that out
further in this thread. I'll follow the discussion and jump in when I feel
I'd like to.

Thanks for bothering, it's appreciated.

--
Replies to list only preferred.