[systemd-devel] systemd-networkd not discovering all devices at bootup, and thus no network is configured

Keller, Jacob E jacob.e.keller at intel.com
Wed Feb 11 12:36:19 PST 2015

On Wed, 2015-02-11 at 21:32 +0100, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> > > Hmm, it appears as if networkd completely misses the netlink messages
> > > describing your em0 link.
> > >

> > Yes. I believe that possibly the netlink messages are occurring too
> > early before networkd has started. Thus, when I restart the service
> > after startup it works fine.
>
> Well, the first thing after subscribing to links coming/going that
> networkd does is query the kernel for the list of devices it has. This
> means that it should always get all links, regardless when it is started.

What about network device renames? Devices are renamed after they
appear. Is it also possible that networkd is started too early and thus
the devices haven't actually appeared yet? But.. then it should get the
message once it does appear? (assuming here that it continues listening
to rtnl messages about links)

> > > To debug this it might be worse adding debug log messages to
> > > manager_rtnl_process_link() to see if any rtnl messages announcing the
> > > interface are received by networkd. If no such message arrives there,
> > > then this indicates a kernel issue, otherwise a bug in networkd.
> > >
> > > Lennart
> > >

> > How would I go about doing that? I am guessing that means modifying the
> > source of networkd?
>
> Correct.
>
> > I'm also somewhat unfamiliar with the best practice for installing a
> > local copy of systemd from source rather than from the Fedora RPMs..
>
> Most of us tend to run git versions of systemd, and simply build them
> with "./autogen.sh c && sudo make install". But of course, you should
> know what you do then, and there's no easy path back to the FEdora version...
>
> Lennart

How difficult would it be to create an RPM? I have a test machine I'm ok
trying this on, so that's not a huge deal if it can't go back. I'll give
this a shot first and see if problem persists.

Regards,
Jake