[systemd-devel] Running system with neither dbus, or kdbus?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Fri Feb 13 04:03:03 PST 2015

On Fri, 13.02.15 11:56, Dimitri John Ledkov (dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com) wrote:

> I have a minimal system and I don't have for example policykit or
> graphical things.
>
> I don't have kdbus yet.
>
> However at the moment it seems that e.g. networkd & logind components
> require dbus system bus.
>
> Is it feasible to modify networkd/logind to operate without system
> dbus? E.g. similar how init / systemctl use /run/systemd/private for
> communication.

That we do that in PID 1 is because we have to allow communication
with PID 1 even before dbus is around. That's the only reason. The
code for it I *really* dislike and am looking forward to removing as
soon as we can hard-depend on kdbus.

With code like that you just write your own little (crappy!)
dbus-daemon inside each daemon, that's a bad idea.

> Would such modifications be welcomed?

No. Sorry. That PID 1 does this is a *bad* thing to remove as soon as
we can, not a good thing to copy to any other daemon.