[systemd-devel] Unmount / right before reboot/shutdown/kexec

Lorenzo Pistone blaffablaffa at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 14:15:35 PST 2015

Hello,
the cloud provider I'm testing has rather strange setup. All volumes are
provided through nbd, including /, and they have to be unmounted cleanly
for reboot to work successfully, because the rebooted or kexec'd kernel
will retry to attach them and if there host thinks there's already a
connection mounting will fail. However, unmounting needs to happen as
the very last thing before rebooting, because after that / will
disappear. They currently have an unholy hack: they replace
systemd-reboot.service with their own version that simply disconnects /
and calls 'echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger'. I believe this is far from the
correct way of doing things (among the other things, an update of
systemd replaces systemd-reboot.service). How can this be done more cleanly?

Please don't argue whether having / as a ndb device is a good thing. It
is not my call.

Cheers.
Lorenzo