[systemd-devel] user units and system units behavior

Alison Chaiken alison at she-devel.com
Sat Feb 14 00:17:38 PST 2015

Inside a Fedora 21 Qemu, I made a dead-simple 'gnome-weather.service'
and experimented with moving it in between system and user directories
in systemd 215.

Case 0: With /etc/systemd/system/gnome-weather.service,  starts
normally with 'systemctl start gnome-weather'

Case 1: With /etc/systemd/user/gnome-weather.service, starts normally
with 'systemctl --user start gnome-weather'

I wanted to try 'busctl monitor' so I compiled systemd 218 and installed it.

[achaiken at fedora21 ~]$ systemctl --version
systemd 218
-PAM -AUDIT +SELINUX +IMA -APPARMOR +SMACK +SYSVINIT +UTMP
+LIBCRYPTSETUP +GCRYPT +GNUTLS +ACL +XZ -LZ4 -SECCOMP +BLKID +ELFUTILS
+KMOD +IDN

Case 0: works as before, with 'busctl monitor
org.freedesktop.systemd1' producing many screens of output.

Case 1: 'systemctl --user start gnome-weather'  now fails:

[achaiken at fedora21 ~]$ systemctl start --user gnome-weather
Failed to start gnome-weather.service: Process
org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1

Meanwhile 'busctl --user monitor org.freedesktop.systemd1' shows no output.

Question: What does the error message 'Process
org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1' mean?

Question: is it correct that the user bus show no traffic in the
second case?   Or is that a symptom of what's wrong?

Thanks,
Alison

Alison Chaiken                           alison at she-devel.com
650-279-5600
http://{she-devel.com,exerciseforthereader.org}
Never underestimate the cleverness of advertisers, or mischief makers,
or criminals.  -- Don Norman