[systemd-devel] user units and system units behavior

Alison Chaiken alison at she-devel.com
Sat Feb 14 12:20:38 PST 2015

Ivan writes:
> So, I suppose, your `systemd --user` just fails to start somewhy, and
> you are getting that cryptic error message because systemctl can't find
> systemd on either of the buses.

Ah, after restarting the Qemu, I see in the journal:

Feb 13 22:09:06 fedora21.exerciseforthereader.org systemd[1900]:
Trying to run as user instance, but $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.

By the time a gnome-terminal appears, 'echo $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR' shows
/run/user/1000, but it looks like 'systemd --user' is failing because
it can't find the value of this variable.    Perhaps this is somehow
related to running in the virtualized environment.   So my takeway
from all this is that "systemctl --user gnome-weather" in the
beginning was still correct in systemd 218, but I need to track down
why 'systemd --user' can't read this variable when I log in.

Ivan:
> Hope it makes things a bit more clear. And I hope I haven't misunderstood anything in the first place.

Very much so.   I can see that in automotive, where I work, the puzzle
of giving different privileges to driver (can control navigation
system but no Facebook, unless vehicle is stationary), passenger (can
read Facebook at any time, plus view any website, but has no
navigation control) and rear-seat (a kind of passenger who suffers
parental controls to prevent reading of porn) is going to be lots of
fun.   There is especially true when internationalization, which
involves different map and streaming audio databases, is thrown in to
the mix.   I have no fear that we will run out of work.

-- Alison

Alison Chaiken                           alison at she-devel.com
650-279-5600                            http://{she-devel.com,
exerciseforthereader.org}
Never underestimate the cleverness of advertisers, or mischief makers,
or criminals.  -- Don Norman