[systemd-devel] user units and system units behavior

Alison Chaiken alison at she-devel.com
Sun Feb 15 09:14:03 PST 2015

I reported:
>> Feb 13 22:09:06 fedora21.exerciseforthereader.org systemd[1900]:
>> Trying to run as user instance, but $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR is not set.

Mantas explains:
> Normally this envvar is set by pam_systemd, so take a look at
> /etc/pam.d/systemd-user and see if it calls the pam_systemd module, either
> directly or via "include"/"substack"...
>
> (I don't know exactly how Fedora's PAM configuration looks like, but I think
> 'systemd-user' is supposed to include either 'system-auth' or
> 'system-login'.)

Ah, I failed to install pam-devel before I compiled systemd.   So I
found these errors in the journal with this knowledge:

Feb 14 09:01:57 fedora21.exerciseforthereader.org systemd[1]: Cannot
add dependency job for unit org.freedesktop.resolve1.busname,
ignoring: Unit org.freedesktop.resolve1.busname failed to load: No
such file or directory.
Feb 14 09:01:57 fedora21.exerciseforthereader.org gdm-Xorg-:0[13998]:
(EE) systemd-logind: failed to get session: PID 13998 does not belong
to any known session

Installing pam-devel on build system, recompiling systemd and
reinstalling now restores functionality to "systemctl --user"
invocation of units.   I suppose the fact that "systemctl --version"
showed that PAM was not installed should have alerted me.

Thanks again,
Alison

Alison Chaiken                           alison at she-devel.com
650-279-5600
http://{she-devel.com,exerciseforthereader.org}
Never underestimate the cleverness of advertisers, or mischief makers,
or criminals.  -- Don Norman