[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 04:09:26 PST 2015

On 02/16/2015 11:32 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:

> Sure, in an ideal world. But as I said in my initial mail, if you have
> crappy scripts provided by third-parties, this is not always an option.
> And I don't think init scripts are going to fully disappear in the next
> 10 years, it's not realistic - especially if you look at a lot of
> third-party scripts, where the authors appear to have had no clue about
> what they were doing.

Initscripts will disappear once we stop provide backwards compatibility
to them.

Regarding authors and initscripts I can safely say after going through
what close to 600 components shipping initscripts in Fedora that the
majority of the authors of those initscript did not have had no clue about
what they were doing when they wrote them.

Ironically the same pattern seems to be emerging amongst unit writers so
as things stand now history is on a path to repeat itself in that regard.

JBG