[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Mon Feb 16 05:13:42 PST 2015

> Well, if this is really just about overriding the LSB headers, and
> nobody so far ever asked for this functionality, wouldn't it be a
> better and easier way out to just recommend people to do systemd-style
> drop-ins? I mean, those also work on units generated by the sysv
> generator...

Not quite. While you can use drop-in snippets to amend
orderings/depends, it's (unfortunately) not possible to override
Wants=,Before= etc.
With insserv overrides you can apparently *replace* the LSB header of
an SysV init script.

>> You couldn't override init scripts that way - if you wanted to do that,
>> you'd have to replace them completely. But if you just want to alter
>> (or even specify for the first time for certain third-party scripts)
>> dependency information but keep getting updates for the init script
>> from the software vendor, this was really, really useful.
>
> Since I never heard anyone asking for this, I doubt it was really that
> useful in real life...

To be fair, there is

We never raised that upstream though.

>> Note that on servers running Debian I've used /etc/insserv/overrides
>> countless times over the past years, so maybe chkconfig.d wasn't
>> something that was widely popularized, but insserv/overrides definitely
>> was.
>
> Again given that on DEbian we don't even have hookup to
> insserv/update-rcd, I kinda wonder if it would be appropriate to
> support this facet of it, without supporting the actual core bit.
>
> I also believ that "systemctl edit" is a much nicer interface for all
> of this, and it works on both sysv scripts and unit files...

Agreed, systemctl edit is much nicer. Unfortunately, as said above,
drop-ins can *not* be used to override all aspects of a native unit
file. So it's not (yet) a complete replacement for insserv overrides.

If it would be possible to unset Wants= or After=, just like other
service properties, then things would be different.

universe are pointed away from Earth?