[systemd-devel] sysv-generator: doesn't handle /etc/insserv/overrides or /etc/chkconfig.d

Christian Seiler christian at iwakd.de
Mon Feb 16 06:35:50 PST 2015

Am 2015-02-16 13:59, schrieb Lennart Poettering:
>> You couldn't override init scripts that way - if you wanted to do
>> that,
>> you'd have to replace them completely. But if you just want to alter
>> (or even specify for the first time for certain third-party scripts)
>> dependency information but keep getting updates for the init script
>> from the software vendor, this was really, really useful.
>
> Since I never heard anyone asking for this, I doubt it was really
> that
> useful in real life...

Understanding that you don't want to accept this kind of patch, I do
want to disagree here vehemently. On sysvinit systems I've used that
a LOT of times to modify init scripts, both from the distribution and
from third parties. Scripts from the distribution mainly to add some
dependencies due to local configuration, but third-party scripts
because those had either completely broken LSB headers or even
non-existent ones. So at least from my experience, this feature was
_immensely_ useful. And if you search for "insserv/overrides" in your
favorite search engine, you'll find that there are enough hits there
to see that I'm not the only one.

(Now obviously, you don't want to support it, so I'll move on, but I
did want to disagree with the assertion that it wasn't useful.)

Christian