[systemd-devel] systemd build process, stripped ELF flags (MIPS)

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 03:58:22 PST 2015

> On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 3:14 PM, Lennart Poettering
> <lennart at poettering.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 19.01.15 09:47, Manuel Lauss (manuel.lauss at gmail.com) wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone please point out why the .MIPS.abiflags sections are
>>> omitted entirely?
>>> I've tried to build with STRIP=/bin/true but that didn't help, and I don't know
>>> enough about the build process to fix it myself.
>>
>> Maybe the MIPS toolchain strips these if --gc-sections is passed to
>> LD, which we do?
>
> Turned out to be something completely different:  systemd tries to us gold
> as the default linked. gold on mips isn't really quite usable yet; after
> removing the ld.gold binary systemd now has the necessary abiflags.

gold seems to still have issues on various architectures.

Since ifuncs aren't used any more for the compat libraries there isn't a real
reason anymore to explicitely switch to gold as a linker.

I suggest we just drop -Wl,-fuse-ld=gold from LDFLAGS and use the
default linker again.

universe are pointed away from Earth?