[systemd-devel] Udev won't rename interfaces that are already UP

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 13:33:48 PST 2015

On 18-02-2015 19:23, Lennart Poettering wrote:
> Well, if you have networking up so early that's usually because you
> need it to boot, for example because it is the backing device for the
> root file system. In such a case it would be a really bad idea to take
> the network interface down.

This is the most common usage for early networking, yes. But there are
many others, as my hooks demonstrate.

> I think generally the deal is pretty OK and kinda expected: if you
> want early networking, then you have to stick with the name you choose
> that early.
>
> I figure if you want control over naming of the interfaces, the right
> option would be to include the .link file for it in the initrd image,
> so that it is applied that early.

I don't want any control over the naming of the interfaces. The current
system is ok, in my opinion. I just think, given an option, udev could
rename all interfaces regardless of their status. I already handle this
in the initramfs, but I wanted to check if there was a way for udev to
change their names. I now know that it doesn't and there isn't much
appeal for introducing this functionality in it. Sorry for the noise and
if I stepped on anyone's toes.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini