[systemd-devel] Udev won't rename interfaces that are already UP

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Thu Feb 19 02:32:14 PST 2015

@Tom: sorry for the off-list reply, your reply-all disabled "reply to
list" in my MUA :-(

Am 19.02.2015 um 11:23 schrieb Tom Gundersen:
 > That is a related problem, but it is a minor detail. The point is that
 > we don't want to have to store state on disk (about which interface
 > should have which name). The only way then is to find an algorithm
 > that will always compute the same name for the same interface without
 > referring to any state. Topology is one way. Firmware information is
 > another. MAC addresses is another. Using the kernel names as-is is out
 > of the question. Having a list on disk mapping interfaces to names is
 > also out of the question.

"Having a list on disk mapping interfaces to names is also out of the
question" because it would solve the problem?

frankly that worked over many years with udev rules and still works if
you put the MAC in the ifcfg-ethX

get rid of the race with kernel it would only have needed a agreement
that the kernel autonaming use a different scheme not colliding with
ethX and as all the years before on Fedora facing the first time a new
ethernet card appears configure the ethX in the udev rules

the problem with the current way is that you can't rely any longer that
eth0, eth1, eth2 are present on different hardware as long as you don't
disable "predictable interface names" - well, i can live with that and
have my ethX but that don't make the new scheme better

there are people with the need to re-use unmodified config files instead
fork them on every machine.....