[systemd-devel] Udev won't rename interfaces that are already UP

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Thu Feb 19 03:21:11 PST 2015

On 19-02-2015 08:50, Tom Gundersen wrote:
> Yeah, this is something we have kept in mind with our own config files
> (in networkd in particular). We have an elaborate matching logic
> precisely because we want config files to be reusable to the greatest
> degree possible. It probably works for you by just making sure the
> naming scheme for your links is the same on all your machines (or
> maybe your machines just give that to you for free because you are
> lucky), but in general that is not powerful enough and not reliable
> enough.
It wasn't my intention for the discussion to go off topic. I,
personally, don't like the predictable (or deterministic) naming system
very much. But it is way better than ending up with interface switches.
I would love to see a naming system that not only is predictable but it
would make better interface names. As it is the case with the BSD's.
More specifically, OpenBSD. Their naming system based on the driver
being used by the network card is simple, elegant and clean. I wonder if
this would be hard to implement. Of course the better way would be for
it to go into the kernel, not systemd.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini