[systemd-devel] Udev won't rename interfaces that are already UP

Giancarlo Razzolini grazzolini at gmail.com
Fri Feb 20 05:18:29 PST 2015

On 19-02-2015 19:23, Greg KH wrote:
> Then you are lucky.  PCI can reorder device ids any time it wants to at
> boot time.  I had a box that would do so every other boot, it made it
> wonderful for fixing lots of bugs in distros.  Never assume PCI device
> probe order is ever deterministic, because it isn't.
Well, this would break systemd predictable/deterministic, wouldn't it?
What I love about the bsd naming system is that I can simply take the
number out of the interface name, man it, and a lovely manual page with
the driver name, which devices it's supports and any other features or
singularities about them, shows up. To find this on linux, I need to
take a look at the documentation for the driver, which isn't
standardized. But, again, this is just a dream. If one day I could make
it into a reality, then great.

Cheers,
Giancarlo Razzolini