[systemd-devel] heads-up: chasing journal(?) related regression in 219 causing boot hang/fail

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Fri Feb 20 07:01:34 PST 2015

Le 20/02/2015 15:41, Michael Biebl a écrit :
>> Hello all,
>>
>> Since we updated to 219 in Ubuntu, several people reported boot
>> failures. Booting hangs a long time after starting D-Bus, in the
>> journal you get a lot of error messages like
>>
>>     systemd[1]: Failed to register match for Disconnected message: Connection timed out
>>     systemd-logind[749]: Failed to fully start up daemon: Connection timed out
>>     dbus[800]: [system] Failed to activate service 'org.freedesktop.PolicyKit1': timed out
>>
>> polkitd isn't running. This causes lots of jobs (logind, NetworkManager, avahi,
>> etc.) to get stuck in an eternal retry loop.
>>
>> Unfortunately reproducing this is a real nuisance, classic heisenbug.
>> I'm now able to trigger it (sometimes) in a VM, but I still haven't
>> found a reliable recipe for reproducing it, so that bisecting just
>> takes ages.
>>
>> I'm keeping debug log, notes, and progress in
>> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1423811 FTR. This is mostly a heads-up for
>> other distros in case they also get reports like this, to shortcut the
>> debugging exercise (I already wasted 7 hours on this, and I'm not even
>> close to the solution). Quite surprisingly it's somewhere in journald.
>> Running 218 with journald from 219 causes the hang, 219 with journald
>> from 218 is fine.
>>
> I noticed this as well. Interestingly, it only ever happened after
> applying the fsckd patches  and running with plymouth enabled.

We get it with "quiet splash" removed as well. It just that it's random
on the machine load. We already ruled out the fsckd patch yesterday, but
I did retry today again after this comment on my own vms and with
systemd/udev/… ubuntu package "218-8ubuntu2" which doesn't contain the
fsckd patch (and have the 218 and 219 systemd-fsck writing to
/dev/console) + systemd-journal binary copied from 219-1ubuntu1, I was
able to reproduce the hang after 15 boots.

Cheers,
Didier