[systemd-devel] How to make debug-shell more usable?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 15:55:42 PST 2015

> What precisely is supposedly written there? I have never seen anythign
> like that on FEdora...
>
> Maybe you should reconfigure your kernel to not spew its output always
> on the console?

Well, if you want to debug boot issues, you typically remove the quiet
flag from the kernel command line. That aside, once systemd hits a
timeout or a service failure, it switches to verbose mode
automatically.

To reproduce the problem, add e.g. a non-existing device to /etc/fstab

The "Waiting for device to show up ..." messages are printed all over tty9.

Also, as mentioned, once the 90 sec timeout has been reached and tty9
is the active tty, the emergency shell is started on tty9 with the
aforementioned issues.

universe are pointed away from Earth?