[systemd-devel] systemd console messages (crippled)

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Jan 6 06:53:25 PST 2015

Am 06.01.2015 um 15:42 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
> On Tue, Jan 06, 2015 at 02:51:50PM +0300, Nikolai Zhubr wrote:
>> Hi people,
>>
>> I'm now fighting with opensuse 13.2 failing to mount some or all
>> disks at boot, obviously resulting in unusable system. This
>> distribution is systemd-based, hence I'm here. While I haven't yet
>> exactly understood my disks problem, one other thing is absolutely
>> clear: systemd messages as displayed on text-mode console are
>> crippled and there is no option to decripple them. This is my
>> favourite (real-life example):
>>
>> [FAILED] Failed to start File System Check on
>> /dev/disk/by-uu...5-eaedc37c1852.
>> See "systemctl status 'systemd-fsck at dev-disk-by\x2duuid-729...ce'"
>> for details.
>> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /sysroot.
> How many disks do you have? I'm pretty sure that only one which matches
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/*5-eaedc37c1852.
>
> Messages are truncated because there's only so much space on 80
> column text displays, and filling the screeen with wrapped unit
> names is not useful anyway. This is supposed to give you an overview
> of what is happening. You can always view the details using journalctl
> and whatnot

but most text displays these days are wider then 80 columns and as user
i can assure you that i hate nothing more then crippled output when even
on a TTY i can pipe wrapped outputs through "less" or it even fits
wrapped on my screen at all

crippeled informations in case of troubles are annoying because you
don't know if the stripped part could be relevant in your situation
until you know what's there

this truncations everywhere due switching to systemd where one of the
reasons i got that angry in 2011