[systemd-devel] systemd console messages (crippled)

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Tue Jan 6 08:07:41 PST 2015

Hi,
06.01.2015 17:42, Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:
>> See "systemctl status 'systemd-fsck at dev-disk-by\x2duuid-729...ce'"
>> for details.
>> [DEPEND] Dependency failed for /sysroot.
> How many disks do you have? I'm pretty sure that only one which matches
> /dev/disk/by-uuid/*5-eaedc37c1852.

Here I have just 2 physical harddrives of the same capacity, partitioned
for small rootfs on raid1, swap on raid1 and big data fs also on raid1.
This is not the simplest configuration, yet not so much exotic, and it
worked for me for years.

Yes, of course I've already figured correct uuids, but that took some
additional time and effort, and I can not see what benefit I get in
return for this extra efforts (compared to just untruncated messages).

> Messages are truncated because there's only so much space on 80
> column text displays, and filling the screeen with wrapped unit
> names is not useful anyway.

So, truncated names are usefull, but full correct names are useless?
Hmm, I don't know... maybe I'm too old to comprehence this...

This is supposed to give you an overview
> of what is happening.

When you main work box unexpectedly gets stuck somewhere in boot
process, you don't want an overview. You need detailed and precise
information, preferrably right here on you screen, so as to recover as
soon as possible.

You can always view the details using journalctl
> and whatnot.

Without knowing uuid yet? And being in a limited emergency shell?
Oh well, everything is possible, question was whether truncating console
messages helps this or if it rather just hurts.

Thank you,
Nikolai