[systemd-devel] List of unit states.

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 7 04:10:52 PST 2015

On Tue, 06.01.15 10:52, dE (de.techno at gmail.com) wrote:

> Hi.
>
> I dont have a better term.
>
> When you look at the status of a unit or check the output of list-units,
> there's a  'load/loaded' column/field also there's an active field/column.
>
> What do these mean? I suspect load/loaded states weather they've been
> enabled at startup and active should show if they're running or not.
>
> Is there any documentation that explains these and it's all possible
> values?

An explanation is shown each time you type "systemctl", at the end of
the output. It's really hard to miss, actually...

    LOAD   = Reflects whether the unit definition was properly loaded.
    ACTIVE = The high-level unit activation state, i.e. generalization of SUB.
    SUB    = The low-level unit activation state, values depend on unit type.

And the various states so far have not been documented on purpose,
since we want to have the liberty to still make alterations to the
state machines. And I am not convinced the time has come yet to set
this in stone and document it.