[systemd-devel] Second (erroneous) check of rootfs?

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Thu Jan 8 07:55:48 PST 2015

On Thu, 08.01.15 16:34, Harald Hoyer (harald.hoyer at gmail.com) wrote:

> IMHO
>
> systemd-fsck-root.service should be removed entirely and generated by the
> fstab-generator in the real root like all the other mount points.

Well, this service *is* special, it needs to run before the other
fsck, and it needs different code to find the device to operate on,
since udev isn't up yet. It will have to stay I figure...

> fstab-generator should create systemd-fsck-root.service for the /sysroot
> mountpoint in the initrd, which then will be serialized.

Not a fan of overriding things like that... I would prefer to run the
same unit files in the initrd and on the host...

What about this: we add some code to systemd-fsck that when run
without parameters, and within an initrd, it will check the host root?

I figure the commit message from
956eaf2b8d6c9999024705ddadc7393bc707de02 confused me, which claims
that serialization was already the way to go. Apparently that commit
message was simply wrong.

I think on Fedora the fsck isn't invoked twice because the initrd already
mounts / writable, and the service is conditioned out if / is already
writable. Quite frankly, relying on this sounds wrong...