[systemd-devel] Questions regarding dbus started via systemd --user

Dimitri John Ledkov dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com
Thu Jan 8 09:48:00 PST 2015

On 8 January 2015 at 17:15, Andrei Borzenkov <arvidjaar at gmail.com> wrote:
> В Thu, 8 Jan 2015 16:03:43 +0000
> Dimitri John Ledkov <dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com> пишет:
>
>> On 8 January 2015 at 15:37, Simon McVittie
>> <simon.mcvittie at collabora.co.uk> wrote:
>> Thus my expectation would be to have a systemd (dbus, etc...) --user
>> per-session/per-seat, rather than per-uid.
>>

> How do you manage things that are inherently per-user and not
> per-session (like pulse audio, ssh-/gpg-agents)?

E.g. ssh-/gpg-agents -> they are upstart jobs, and thus are started
per-session. They use environment variables to point at the active
agent.

Even on your desktop, you can spawn two agents and use different
SSH_AUTH_SOCK to talk to one or the other.

Ideally such variables could be eliminated in favor of using address
namespacing e.g. always talk to unix:abstract=/tmp/agent -> which is
then point at different things in each of the logind sessions, or
same, or whatever as needed depending on the desired model of
per-users/per-session/per-user-session of behaviour. Kind of like the
dbus is at the moment, one simply talks to well known name and the
implications of who is talking to who and how it's launched and shared
is offloaded to the "session-manager" (*) and the distro policies /
integration.

(*) be it gnome-session, systemd, upstart, etc.

--
Regards,

Dimitri.

Intel Corporation (UK) Ltd. - Co. Reg. #1134945 - Pipers Way, Swindon SN3 1RJ.