[systemd-devel] Questions regarding dbus started via systemd --user

Colin Guthrie gmane at colin.guthr.ie
Fri Jan 9 04:18:51 PST 2015

Mantas Mikulėnas wrote on 09/01/15 10:31:

> I guess you could use KillMode= for this?

I don't think so. This would mean the unit would still be alive even
although the main process died and when I next tried to open a
gnome-terminal, it would try and speak to the dbus service again and
then dbus would try and spawn it but systemd would say "it's already
running" and not actually run a new gnome-terminal-server process.

I've not tried this in practice, but I think the above is the expected
behaviour here.

> Or, actually, dbus.service doesn't stop on logout, does it?...

I think it will stick around, but so far I've not really been testing it
much in terms of clean logout/log back in again. Just that it "runs" OK :)

> For tmux, I have a tmux.service that runs:
>
> ExecStart=/usr/bin/tmux start-server \x3B wait-for systemd
>
> ExecStop=/usr/bin/tmux wait-for -S systemd \x3B kill-server
>
> screen has no equivalent though.

If it does keep running then this is somewhat moot, but nice to know
tmux has a solution :)

Col

--

Colin Guthrie