[systemd-devel] Second (erroneous) check of rootfs?

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Sun Jan 11 03:13:30 PST 2015

On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 3:43 AM, Nikolai Zhubr <n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru> wrote:
> Hi,
> 11.01.2015 10:09, Andrei Borzenkov:
>>>
>>> Ok. I've invented a quick-and-dirty fix. I'll modify systemd-fsck so
>>> that when run with no argument it does nothing and exit successfully.
>>> This way I'll still have rootfs fsck'ed every boot, but never twice.
>>>

>> Uh. Why not simply mount rootfs rw in initrd then?
>

> I'm not against generally. But it'd mean that this first mount is actually a
> real mount, the fs will start up in full. Then I'd suppose it is definitely
> a must to supply all necessary mount options (from fstab) at this stage
> already. I don't easily see how to do this currently, at least on my
> opensuse system.

That's a really good point. The remount is always necessary if fstab
specifies / with non-default options, and I think some file systems
will not enable certain options on remount if already mounted rw,
hence the initial ro mount in order to read the fstab in the first
place.

Archaic.

Anyway, the work around is to use kernel parameter rootflags= to
specify the mount options and then comment out the / entry in fstab.

--
Chris Murphy