[systemd-devel] Second (erroneous) check of rootfs?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Sun Jan 11 12:03:06 PST 2015

Am 11.01.2015 um 12:48 schrieb Nikolai Zhubr:
> I suppose this traditional (historical) technique of maintaining
> mount-count, running fsck at boot time before remount r/w, etc, should
> not be so much attributed specifically to ext filesystem. Most probably
> it existed long before even ext2 appeared. However, 15 years ago I was
> already wondering about the motivation of running full fsck depending of
> mount-count. What's the point really?

because you get aware of problems

real story shortly before christmas: reboot of our fileserver running on
the same virtualization cluster and SAN storage as other servers, mount
count reached -> emergency shell, manual fsck and confirm all things to fix

i really do not want to know what would have happened a year later with
the filesystem, after that i rebooted all other servers with a forced
fsck and not a single one while sharing the same hardware had an error