[systemd-devel] Second (erroneous) check of rootfs?

Nikolai Zhubr n-a-zhubr at yandex.ru
Sun Jan 11 16:12:08 PST 2015

Hi,
12.01.2015 0:47, Chris Murphy:
[...]
> - man tune2fs uses very strong language to set either
> interval-between-checks or max-mount-counts. However, mke2fs 1.42.11
> (09-Jul-2014) sets neither by default. I'm not sure when this changed,
> it used to set check interval to 180, but a new file system has it set
> to 0, and max mount count to -1. So it's highly recommended but not
> the default anymore. *shrug* Not sure what to make of that.

I'd interpret this as yet another hint that e2fsck is not a tool for
planned diagnostic. (Hence no default schedule.) Rather, it is a tool
for (attempt of) recovery after some unexpected damage event.

That said, I do have quick fsck enabled at boot on all my machines, but
it's more of a paranoid nature than somehow practically important.

(This is getting off-topic though, so maybe let's not abuse the mailing
list further)

Thank you,
Nikolai