[systemd-devel] cdrom_id and 60-cdrom_id.rules behavior

Robert Milasan rmilasan at suse.com
Thu Jan 15 02:39:36 PST 2015

On Thu, 15 Jan 2015 11:31:48 +0100
"Oliver Neukum" <oneukum at suse.de> wrote:

> On Thu, 2015-01-15 at 09:03 +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> >  - udev rules (60-cdrom_id.rules) picks that up and calls "eject
> >    /dev/srX" on the device; the eject program takes care to unmount
> >    everything before physical ejection.
> >
> > Note that the kernel will *not* generate DISK_EJECT_REQUEST uevents
> > if the tray is not locked. Your case sounds exactly like that?
>
> No, the events are generated. And it is processed.
> There is just no unmounting.
>
> But what is the motivation of in effect disabling door locking?
>
> 	Regards
> 		Oliver

Unmounting usually happens, but only in the desktop environment, most
probably because of udisk2 or whatever is called.
In console mode or server mode lets say, if the media is mounted
(usually manually) it is not unmounted if I press the eject button on
the driver, on the other hand it is not unmounted even if I would use
eject command, because none of this commands or the hardware button are
aware of the media being mounted and it also makes sense. In Gnome/KDE
the mount is not done by user but by the actual software, using most
probably fuse or something like that and Gnome/KDE is aware when the
disk is ejected, similar to a USB stick (I might be wrong).

--
Robert Milasan

L3 Support Engineer
SUSE Linux (http://www.suse.com)
email: rmilasan at suse.com
GPG fingerprint: B6FE F4A8 0FA3 3040 3402  6FE7 2F64 167C 1909 6D1A