[systemd-devel] Readahead collect - root filesystem only?

Tom Gundersen teg at jklm.no
Thu Jan 15 06:07:26 PST 2015

On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 2:38 PM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

> Am 15.01.2015 um 14:33 schrieb Zbigniew Jędrzejewski-Szmek:

>>> it was completly removed with no replacement by assuming eveorybody
>>> in a short term will use only SSD drives
>>>

>>> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2014-August/022002.html
>>

>> That's not the complete story. The other is that there were issues
>> with it, and nobody was working on them
>

> that's all fine
>
> but why the heck was there a need to include it in systemd, replace the all
> the years existing readahead daemon from Fedora and then abandon and remove
> it finally?
>
> that's one reason why so many people are annoyed be systemd take over more
> and more components far away from an init-daemon and if systemd-upstream
> later decides that part is no longer interesting and nobody has a need to
> use it like readahead what happens then?

The problem was that no one worked on the readahead tool. Regardless
of what repository it lived in. My understanding is that
systemd-readahead was the best tool out there, so anyone could still
resurrect that if they want to (but my understanding is that there are
no one with both the interest and the opportunity to work in it a the
moment).

Cheers,

Tom