[systemd-devel] failing boot start jobs delay reboot

Felix Miata mrmazda at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 20 02:36:59 PST 2015

Andrei Borzenkov composed on 2015-01-20 11:24 (UTC+0300):

> Felix Miata wrote:

>>          When they occur during init they repeat during shutdown. Even when I
>> let init complete and succeed to fix the typo or oversight, the init failure
>> gets remembered and repeated at shutdown.

> Yes, that's the problem. For once, traditional workflow of

> - stop in emergency shell when mount fails
> - fix /etc/fstab
> - ^D to continue boot

> no more works, because /etc/fstab is not reevaluated so systemd will
> still try the same broken mount again. Also I have observed delays
> during shutdown/reboot /probably/ triggered by failed mounts but am
> not sure how to reproduce them. If you have simple step by step guide
> how to trigger such delays, would be great.

Given what I have written in this thread, I am puzzled that you ask this. Try
what I just did (on multiboot host gx28c with 8 or more volume lines in eash
installation's fstab; 'fdisk -l | grep /dev/sda | wc -l' produces 24 on this
host):

1-have fstab entries for openSUSE 13.1 and TW mount using the form LABEL=
2-in TW's fstab, misspell the volume label for 13.1
3-boot TW
4-when the waiting for dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-<LABEL>.device (failing volume's
label) start job appears, right away CAD, and shutdown will proceed normally
for a short time, after which the waiting for
dev-disk-by\x2dlabel-<LABEL>.device previously experienced will institute a
similar delay before reboot completes
5-boot 13.1
6-restore TW's fstab to have correct volume label spellings next boot

I repeated on same host using Fedora 20 and 21 to get similar delays.

For both TW and F21 I also tried letting init proceed into emergency shell,
fixing fstab, then CAD, whereupon reboot proceeded quickly for both.

To reach Fedora 20 emergency shell after a very long wait (>3 minutes here on
2.8GHz 32 bit single core P4), include a misspelled root volume after LABEL=
on cmdline. (Warning: /dev/disk/by-label/fedor23 does not exist; Generating...)

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/