[systemd-devel] persisting sriov_numvfs

Martin Polednik mpolednik at redhat.com
Fri Jan 23 05:51:34 PST 2015

----- Original Message -----

Hello,

I'm oVirt developer responsible for VFIO/SR-IOV passthrough on the host
side.

SR-IOV is a specification from PCI SIG, where single hardware device
(we're using NICs for example) can actually act as a multiple devices.
This device is then considered PF (physical function) and spawned devices
are so called VFs (virtual functions). This functionality allows system
administrators to assign these devices to virtual machines to get near
bare metal performance of the device and possibly share it amongst multiple
VMs.

Spawning of the VFs was previously done via device driver, using max_vfs
attribute. This means that if you wanted to persist these VFs, you had to
add this to modules-load.d. Since some of the device driver creators used
different names, spawning of VFs was moved to sysfs and can be operated via
echo ${number} > /sys/bus/pci/devices/${device_name}/sriov_numvfs where
${number} <= /sys/bus/pci/devices/${device_name}/sriov_totalvfs and if
changing the number of VFs from nonzero value, it first needs to be set to 0.

We've encountered the need to persist this configuration and load it before
network scripts (and possibly in future other scripts) so that the hardware
can be referenced in those scripts. There is currently no such option. We
are seeking help in creating a standardized way of handling this persistence.

mpolednik