[systemd-devel] Unwants

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Tue Jan 27 04:36:41 PST 2015

On Thu, 22.01.15 13:54, Dimitri John Ledkov (dimitri.j.ledkov at intel.com) wrote:

> Is there a way to remove / override wants that are specified via
> .wants directory, .d snippet with "Wants=", or wants specified in the
> unit itself?

Dependencies are always additive and coalescing currently. We don't
track which configuration file or automatic logic created which
dependency, and hence it is not really possible right now do reset the
list of dependencies: we wouldn't know what to reset and what
not. Note that in many cases dependencies can be created from "both
sides", and if A wants some dependency on B, and B also wants it from
A, then we coalesce it one. If now some configuration in A wants to
reset its setting, what do we do with the request from B?

When we designed this initially this way I wasn't sure this would
suffice, but I kinda like the simplicity of this, and interestingly
you are the first one who wants to reset dependencies again. Which
makes me wonder if we canot find a better solution for this?

> I thought that creating a symlink to /dev/null from a higher up
> directory would disable wants dependency but it didn't:
>
> e.g.:
> I was expecting for
> /run/systemd/system/getty.target.wants/getty at tty1.service ->
> /dev/null

Wat precisely is the reason for trying to do this? What are you trying
to do here, and why?

> So, is there a way to unwant something, as an override?

Nope, currently there isn't.