[systemd-devel] journal verify problem

Lennart Poettering lennart at poettering.net
Wed Jan 28 18:11:28 PST 2015

On Thu, 08.01.15 14:18, MichaƂ Zegan (webczat_200 at poczta.onet.pl) wrote:

> Hello, I am running archlinux with systemd 218.
> My journal is sealed.
> But, when I try to verify it giving a verification key, then when user
> journals are verified, I always get the error "bad message".
> This happens only for user journals, system journal verifies correctly.
> To clarify, I currently have more than one user and all journals fail
> verification except the system one. I am not sure what will happen if
> the system one rotates.

What's the precise message you get?

Note that the final parts of live journal files can usually not be verified
via the sealing logic, since there's not seal behind them yet. Each
seal can only be used to validate the bits before it, and hence, while
new entries are appended, these entries cannot be validated until the
next seal is written.