[systemd-devel] User sessions, session buses, user buses

Elias Probst mail at eliasprobst.eu
Fri Jan 30 13:53:44 PST 2015

On 01/30/2015 09:30 AM, Simon McVittie wrote:
> Remaining issue: environment variables
> ======================================
>
> […]
> As a short-term solution, I'm tempted to write that tool, but make it
> only upload a whitelisted set of variables automatically, and say "if
> you install dbus-user-bus, you are expected to run this tool from your
> ~/.xsession if you need it".

IMHO, env variables are something we should get rid of in the long term.
It might be fine for now to provide some legacy-compatibility mechanisms
(like your not-yet-written tool), but to me environment variables are
something straight out of the dark ages.

The long-term goal (also in a world where a graphical session is managed
as a systemd user-session), the information provided until now by an
environment variable should be queried dynamically by e.g. a D-Bus call
to the component responsible for providing the relevant information.

I know that there are huge numbers of applications/toolkits/… out there
making use of environment variables for various use cases, but this
shouldn't keep us from looking into the distant future where environment
variables are a thing of the past.

- Elias