[systemd-devel] systemd-tmpfiles for the user instance of systemd

Daniel Tihelka dtihelka at gmail.com
Wed Jul 1 05:26:51 PDT 2015

On Wednesday 01 of July 2015 12:00:59 Dimitri John Ledkov wrote:
> Heya,

Hello,
thank for the reply.

> On 1 July 2015 at 11:35, Daniel Tihelka <dtihelka at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> > does anyone have an experience with the use of systemd-tmpfiles for the
> > user instance of systemd.
>
> My question would be - what sort of files are you creating with tmpfiles?

Well, my intention was mostly put it on my directory, where I use to store
some temporary results and data, and where there is currently a several GB
mess :-) The task of systemd-tmpfiles tool would mostly be to prone files older
than, let say 5 months (I know that all important data must be copied from the
dir ...). And possibly also a downloads dir, chrome cache and stuff like that.

Sure, it could be achieved by a find-embedding script as well, but if there is
this systemd-tmpfiles which I do not have to tune and check if it is working
correctly (which may be harder on several-months scale ...)

> system stuff is known to use dynamic directories in /var /run and
> similar and it all used to be created ad-hoc in either packaging or
> the init scripts.
>
> User stuff on the other hand, generally works with untouched home
> directories as they typically are not allowed to be modified by
> typical packaging systems. Hence most of the user things handle
> creation of the dirs they need themself and do it gracefully enough.

Agree. Well, I know that my usage of systemd-tmpfiles is not that it was
primarily designed to, but its capabilities match my intention quiet well, I
think (except the few config-related "inconsistencies" I mentioned).

Thank you again,
DT