[systemd-devel] How do I find out why a service was started? (systemd-tmpfiles-setup failed in container)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 1 13:37:23 PDT 2015

Hey Johannes,

Johannes Ernst [2015-07-01 11:02 -0700]:
> My container is degraded because systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
> failed. My understanding is that it should not run in the container
> anyway. (Right?)

It should run in a container; its purpose is both necessary, and I
don't see why a container would have any difficulty with it. It runs
just fine in both system and even unprivileged user containers here.

> How do I find out why it was started?

$ systemctl list-dependencies --reverse systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service
● └─sysinit.target

"systemctl status systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service" will say that it's
statically enabled, and the list-dependencies says where. I. e. you
should have a symlink
/usr/lib/systemd/system/sysinit.target.wants/systemd-tmpfiles-setup.service

(could also be in /lib/systemd/, depending on your distro)

Martin