[systemd-devel] sd 221 regression: login - nonexistent sessions via lightdm

David Herrmann dh.herrmann at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 09:31:19 PDT 2015

Hi

On Tue, Jul 7, 2015 at 6:14 PM, poma <pomidorabelisima at gmail.com> wrote:

> Revert "login: re-use VT-sessions if they already exist" - commit 0204c4b
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/commit/?id=0204c4b

Can someone elaborate what exactly lightdm does here? We really want
to prevent multiple sessions on the same VT. This is just nasty and
never made any sense. So I'm really interested why lightdm doesn't
kill it's manager-session before it starts the new session. Any
particular reason here?

Furthermore, how exactly does lightdm do all this. Is there a control
daemon running outside the session, then there's the graphical login
processes with their own 'lightdm' session? Once the login is done,
you start the new session from the control daemon and _afterwards_
destroy the lightdm-session?

Thanks
David