[systemd-devel] About github repo and release tarball change

Armin K. krejzi at email.com
Thu Jul 9 06:28:56 PDT 2015

On 09.07.2015 12:32, Andrei Borzenkov wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 12:43 PM, Armin K. <krejzi at email.com> wrote:
>> So, my first question is: How do I get around this? Is there any
>> sane way of me knowing which exactly commits happened between
>> two release tags from the web interface? If not, is there any
>> other method for achieving the same (from the git tree itself).
>>

> I expect "git log --no-merges v221..v222" to show the correct
> sequence. Does it not work for you?

Yes, that's a lot saner than the web interface. Still, I'd
prefer if that could be done via the web interface, so I could
click on a commit that may interest me to inspect it further.

For now, I'll be satisfied with this. Thanks.

>> Starting with systemd-222, github tarballs are preferred and
>> the downloaded tarball is in format v222.tar.gz, which is, due
>> to what I said above, unnacceptable for the book to refecence.
>> (Imagine everyone went the same path and provided tarballs
>> with version in it - it would become a mess and impossible
>> to distinguish between different source packages).
>>

> I clicked on release link and it downloaded file with name
> systemd-222.tar.gz. I see that there could be an issue with dumb cli
> clients not following redirections probably.

I suppose it's a github issue doing some black magic in the background.
Still, even if the name was right, the github tarball doesn't
suit my needs because it doesn't have autotools files and
man pages/html docs. So, ignore this issue for my case ...

--
Note: My last name is not Krejzi.