[systemd-devel] user instance of systemd while inside a container

Keller, Jacob E jacob.e.keller at intel.com
Tue Jul 14 11:34:35 PDT 2015

Hello,

I created an nspawn container which is also running systemd. I can't
figure out why the systemd --user instances aren't started.

I'd like to manage some processes run as a specific user inside the
container. Previously I was using a VM to do it this way, and I would
like to be able to port the same code over to the container image.

Is there some setup I need to do to get the instance started? I tried
searching on the web, but came up with very little documentation. user
instances appear to be started by pam.. Maybe pam is not being used as
the login for the container?

Is the only alternative to put a bunch of system level services and
label them as User=specificuser

Thanks for your help.

Regards,
Jake